Videos - click to view

Loading...
Loading...

Thursday, May 19, 2005

Flashback: Which dart is right for you?

When I first attempted to play the game of darts well meaning friends insisted that I go to the dart shop and buy a set of darts of my own so I could get used to throwing the same darts the same way all of the time. That sounded good and reasonable to me at the time so off I went. After spending a couple of hours throwing one set of darts then the next set of darts from an maddening selection; I walked out with $50 less in my pocket, and a slim set of 19 gram darts, forgive me for not recalling the brand, and went straight to the bar to try them out. For about a month I struggled to make those darts go where I wanted until a fellow I shot darts with a few times commented that I did not appear comfortable with my darts, and offered me the use of his darts for a the night. I felt a slight bit more comfortable and thought I was shooting better.

When I saw him a week later he pulled me aside, handed me a set of 30 gram darts with a knurled finish and said “use these for a while” referring to them as his training darts. I improved rapidly and after about three weeks I knew that I did not want to continue throwing with exactly that weight, but I did like the finish of the barrel. I also knew that I did not like the set I had purchased as they were far too light; so I started my search differently this time. I talked to the dart players that shot darts at the bar about their darts, ask to throw a few games with their darts and after two weeks I had a better idea of what I really liked in a dart. I sold the the first set of darts I had purchased and was able to use my next shopping trip a bit more focused on a range of dart weight, finish /grip, and balance. Again I spent a couple of hours throwing darts in the shop and selected 26 gram Bottleson Hammerheads with a knurled finish which I used for the next 5 years.

No comments:

search this site or the web...

Google