Videos - click to view

Loading...
Loading...

Thursday, October 20, 2005

Got dart mail?

As I was checking my email this morning I noticed my spam folder, don't ask me why but I did, normally I don't pay much attention to the contents of this folder but today a few items did get my attention. Now I know that most everything in this blog is dart related but just give me this exception; onward with the story...

I had spent some time yesterday looking for printing products such as reams of paper, card stock and other items at various on line vendor's websites. So when I saw an item from quill.com in the folder I paused to think; “Did I ask them to send me information” and if I did "Why is it in the Spam folder?" Then a few items down another email form an on line printing company, and the answer was clear .... MORE SPAM! That's all it took for me to figure it out I would have to run a spyware scan because much of my spam was closely related to sites I had visited and searches I had done.

By the way I always use Spybot-S&D and Ad-Aware SE Personal edition
to do my spyware scans. If you really care I use AVG Free Edition to fight viruses. But I do digress... After my scans I discovered it had been a while since my last scan and several items of “spyware” were happily at work on my system and needed to be removed. That's when it hit me.....

Of all the spam I have gotten in all the years ........ and I search and visit sites about darts more than most, .......


.... THERE HAS NOT BEEN ONE ITEM OF SPAM RELATED TO DARTS! Now don't get me wrong I hate spam as much as anyone, but it gave me pause to think.... why don't spamers send dart related spam? OK let's be clear about some basics; in general you will fing that dart sites don't normally set a lot of spyware cookies /software, and most spyware software programs are put onto computers by sites that do use spyware cookies /software. Most cookies do nothing more than slow down your computer, and track your websurfing habbits so they can send spam. Many spyware cookies track your movements on competing sites so they can you "unsolicited" counter offers. There are some spyware items that are in the class of “malware” that will log keystrokes and steal your passwords and credit card numbers, but that's more than what my story is about; if you think you have a problem with “malware” visit Security Forums for help. But back to my story.

So I must pose the question: “If I visit sites about printing one day and the next my mailbox is full of printing spam, why isn't my mailbox full of darts spam after visiting darts sites?” I've already established that the spyware software was at work on my computer, and my spam folder did have items about printing. Is it that spamers don't see darters as a significant market worth targeting? Could it be that dart gear manufactures are not high profile enough for spamers to resale / redistribute their products (despite the fact that darts are a good selling recreation /sport item)? Is it that Darts won't help you find your “life mate?” I'm sure that there are those that would argue that theory see entry:Darts + Love = wedding. Or is it just not exciting enough to read “Get a complementary set of Laser / Unicorn Darts?” I mean really I might take time to read an email that says: “Your Unicorn Eclipse board is waiting for you to claim it!”

I don't know the answer to why darts has escaped being a subject for spamers, but now that it's breeched my awareness I'll have to ponder it.....

Hmmmm..... I wonder if spamers in the UK target darters?

2 comments:

Tommo said...

I'm in the UK and don't receive darts related spam.

Darttalker said...

Well I guess that confirms it! Darts can be popular and not become a SPAM victim!

search this site or the web...

Google