Videos - click to view

Loading...
Loading...

Friday, October 27, 2006

Bob Jones write up of the All State Open - Grand Rapids, MI

I would like to thank Bob Jones for this write up of the All State Open. Please read and enjoy.....

The AllState Open was heralded by everyone I spoke with in Grand Rapids, MI, as "one of the most fun tournaments of the year!"...and after attending my first one last weekend, I would have to agree!

The venue is well lit, the boards were great, and the tournament was run very efficiently, although I did get involved in a slight "miscue" that proved interesting. Friday night went off without a hitch, as I got recycled in the mixed triples event and ended up finishing top 8 with Tina and Pam (Pam's first ever tournament - great job, and thanks for holding me up, Tina! Smile ) The Weakest Link event was unique in that only 10 people shot in it at a time, and they ran a bunch of them, so you could really have a shot at winning that 50 bucks! I ended up after a bit of controversy shooting with Jamie Mawson in the blind draw, though we got knocked out in the first round - I had fun shooting with Jamie, thanks!

Saturday's Men's Doubles Cricket started off rough as we ran into Greg Hall and Brian who played well and knocked us out first round. Next event is Men's Singles 501, and I drew Darin Young first round. I suppose the next time I'll have a better chance of throwing halfway decently, as I experienced a bit of "shooting against the big boys" nerves...that was my first ever singles match against a top-ranked shooter. Darin was gracious as always, and I look forward to shooting against him in the future.

Next event for me was Men's Doubles 501, and my doubles partner Monty Jones and I finally put a few games together and ended up finishing Top 8 - I was extremely pleased! Good shooting, Monty! Singles cricket was interesting as I started out shooting the best game of my life, only to get waxed on the 15's and subsequently losing the next game to Shaun - that kid played great!

Mixed doubles produced my first ever ADO 180 shot, which eased the pain of getting knocked out in the first round. Jenny, my wife and mixed doubles partner, gave it a great shot and we had fun losing to Rob Wade and Heather - they were great sports!
All in all it was a great tournament and I hope to be able to attend next year's event!
Bob Jones Very Happy

No comments:

search this site or the web...

Google