Videos - click to view

Loading...
Loading...

Friday, December 29, 2006

Sid Waddell uniBlog: RAGGLE HAGGLE GIPSIES OH!

You lot may not know it but I am an adopted Didekai – a member of the travelling fraternity. My Grannie Mary Jane sold plants to horse traders in Alwick, Northumberland in the 1930s and she taught me words like ‘gadgie’(man), ‘jugel’(dog) and the great Dide word made famous by Del Boy – ‘custy’ (sweet, great, lovely).

So, the other night I had a deep discussion of such terms with Chris Mason and an Essex pal of his. They said that ‘custy’ should be pronounced ‘cushty’ and that my northern pronunciation was wrong! Who is right and who is wrong? BLOG me if you know or have any other gypsy words!

Sid Waddell uniBlog: RAGGLE HAGGLE GIPSIES OH!

No comments:

search this site or the web...

Google