Videos - click to view

Loading...
Loading...

Thursday, November 20, 2008

PHIL TAYLOR called Andy Hamilton a “psychopath” after knocking him out of the PartyPoker.com Grand Slam.

The Power edged out The Hammer in a tense 10-8 clash and was well below his usual high standards of form, hitting only 10 doubles out of 36 attempts in Wolverhampton.

But the 13-times world champ paid tribute to his fellow Stoke player for keeping him under pressure.

Taylor said: “Andy is a total psychopath when you’re on stage with him, he’s a nice guy but on the oche he concentrates very hard and is very aggressive.

“I just couldn’t shake him off. It was tight early on then I got into an 8-4 lead and relaxed but he came right back at me. He’s horrible to play against, you just can’t break his focus.”

Taylor, who was beaten in the group stage by Andy Jenkins on Sunday night, admits he is not at the top of his game.

He added: “I’m giving my opponents far too many chances, I’m not firing on all cylinders but I’m not worried. I’ve got a day off now and then I can prepare properly for the quarter-finals.”

Taylor plays Simon Whitlock after he knocked out Jenkins 10-8 but the big shock of the night was Lakeside champion Mark Webster’s 10-2 thrashing of PDC world champ John Part.

MERVYN KING broke down in tears after his thrilling 10-9 win over Kevin McDine to book his place in the quarter-finals.

The Norfolk thrower had earlier attended the funeral of his aunt Sylvia Steggles and he dedicated his victory to her.

King’s emotional day got even tougher when McDine, a semi-finalist last year, raced clear in the early legs to lead 6-2 at one stage.

However, World No12 King never gave up the battle and only led after clinching a nerve-jangling deciding leg against the throw to win the match which finished at well past midnight.

King said: “It’s probably the hardest match of my career - and most emotional. I’m just glad I’m through, it means so much to me.

“I thought Kevin was going to run away with it at one point. I had a bad start and thought it was going to cost me but luckily it didn’t.”

McDine added: “I played really well and I’m really happy with myself but Mervyn hung in there and just had enough in his tank to win. I’m pleased for him.” (story source...)

No comments:

search this site or the web...

Google