Videos - click to view

Loading...
Loading...

Sunday, November 02, 2008

Thornton eyes Taylor's world title

NEW darts star Robert Thornton lost to Phil Taylor in the semi-finals of the PartyPoker.net European Championships last night but vowed: I’ll be back to take his World No1 title.

The Scot produced a sensational performance despite losing 11-7 - pushing the 13-times world champ all the way to the wire.

The Thorn fought back from 4-1 down to put Taylor on the rack and draw level at 7-7 with an incredible 102 average, including five maximum 180s and 13 140s.

However, The Power came out after a short interval with all guns blazing to crucially win four legs on the bounce to take the match – having produced a 113 average – the fourth highest in televised darts history.

Thornton, 41, said: “I pushed the master all the way. He is the king of the sport but I’m after him, I want his world titles and world No1 ranking.

“I want to be snapping at his heels at every tournament, he’s knows I’m after him. The crucial thing is that I know I can live with him.

“I went 4-1 down and a lot of players would have crumbled at that stage but I have belief and mental strength and I think that shocked Phil.

“It’s incredible to think I averaged over 100 but still lost the match but that shows just how good Phil is. The important thing is to keep him under pressure and I did that and almost did enough to beat him.”

Thornton, who played with a lucky teddy bear mascot in his top pocket from his grand-daughter Katie-Ann, admitted the TV break came at the wrong time.

He added: “Phil used that break to give himself fresh impetus and he did that. The 15th leg was the crucial one because he broke my throw and pushed on from there.

“But until then I had matched him but he smelt blood after that leg and I couldn’t break his throw back quick enough. But he’s a class act, the best in the world and he showed just why.”

Thornton picked up a £12,500 cheque as a losing semi-finalist and now moves up to World No36 – and has undoubtedly been the player of the year having incredibly leapt up 181 ranking places in just 155 days since joining the PDC in April.

He added: “I’m settled now in the PDC and I’ve found my feet. This is the real Robert Thornton now and I’m going to win titles. Watch out Taylor!”

(story source...)

No comments:

search this site or the web...

Google