Videos - click to view

Loading...
Loading...

Thursday, December 18, 2008

On The Spot: Anastasia Dobromyslova

Anastasia Dobromyslova is ready to take the darts world by storm over the next fortnight after being given a wildcard entry into the Ladbrokes.com PDC world championship.

She has switched from the rival BDO and is dreaming of changing the face of the sport over the next few years by mixing it with the very best. With tournament prizemoney totalling around £5million it could be a lucrative move.

Birthplace: Tver, Russia.
Born: September 26, 1984.
Now based: Ellesmere Port.
Favourite football team: Liverpool.
Honours: Six-time Russian champion. Reigning BDO women's champion. Married to: Darts players Tony Martin.

Congratulations on your move from the PDC - exciting times!
Yes, I can especially look forward to making the switch over now that I have had my breakfast.
Why does that make a difference?
Because I can start to think about other things.

What did you have to eat that was so fulfilling?
Some rice and pork which was lovely.
You've made me hungry now! How did you get into the sport? I didn't know there was much of a darts culture in Russia.
There isn't really but I started playing when I was young after watching Eric Bristow on television. I thought I'd give it a go, I did quite well and I enjoyed it so I continued from there.
You've been given some advice by Phil Taylor - how is that going?
Phil has been a big help and if I have a problem I just give him a call. He is always there to make a difference by telling me things about my throw. My husband also helps, of course.
How far do you think you can go in this year's PDC championships?
I don't know and to be honest I haven't really thought too much about it. I will just think about who my next opponent is because there are so many big names out there. They are all tough to beat so it doesn't make any sense to do anything else but take each match as they come.
But in the long run?
It's difficult to say how far I can go. I probably won't break into the top 32 very quickly because it is a lot higher standard that I am playing in now. I know that I have to raise my game but will I ever do really well? I just don't know at the moment. I'll certainly be working hard and trying my best, though.
What's your biggest checkout and best finish?
My biggest checkout is 157 and my best finish is 11 darts - I have never done a nine-darter, I'll have to keep working to get that.

I hope it will be me but I feel it could be someone else who is the first female world champion.
You could be something of a torchbearer for women's darts if you continue to hit the headlines.
That's true. It may happen in the next four or five years if I'm still around. I hope it will be me but one day I feel it could be someone else who is the first female world champion.
You'll be up against Phil 'The Power' Taylor, John 'Darth Maple' Part and Wayne 'Hawaii 501' Mardle in the PDC so the big question is what's your nickname going to be?
I don't have a nickname and at the moment I'm not looking for one either because I'm very happy with the name I've got.
But you'll have a song to introduce you...
Yes it will be a Sugarbabes song called Here Come The Girls because I like it and I'm the only woman there.
Are your family still in Russia and will they be able to watch you in the world championships?
Yes, they live at Central Park near Moscow but I don't know if they will be able to watch at home. I'm still in regular contact with them, though, so I'll be able to keep them informed about how I'm getting on.
Do you take part in any other sports?
I like all sports but it is difficult for me at the moment because I am spending all my time working on my darts. I'm very busy but I used to enjoy kickboxing and did quite well at it.

(story source...)

No comments:

search this site or the web...

Google